Why Financial Literacy for Students?
According to a research, early financial literacy plays a pivotal role in increasing the savings rates amongst the youth when they enter the work-force. Furthermore, as one third of the country’s population is believed to be under the age of 25, therefore, it is this age group which is expected to provide the bulk of future human capital to our Nation. Providing adequate life skills to this segment of our population and enabling them to play an active part in the financial and economic development of our country, is deemed as the critical need of the hour. It is because of this reason that a specific financial literacy program has been designed for the high school-aged children and youngsters which will focus on essential financial capability skills such as savings, investments, money management and the spending habits of the youth.
Education / Awareness Programs for School and College Students
Following activities are planned under this category:
- Edutainment for younger kids and financial literacy programs for the parents;
- Informal awareness programs for middle and high schools;
- Seminars and lecture series on personal finance for college students;
- Investment competitions such as savings contests, stock market games, portfolio management performance contests etc;
- Conduct and promote formal teaching programs in financial management subjects;
- Hold regular training programs for the teachers;
- Facilitate internships in financial institutions for those college and university students, who perform better in financial literacy competitions.
Campus Outreach Program
Campus Outreach Program is an educational and awareness program being offered by FLI.
Under this Program, adult age students from participating schools, colleges and universities shall be targeted for different on-campus and on-location briefing programs and other activities.
The earlier you save — the more you accumulate
- To create basic awareness in the younger population of our country about various financial markets and products.
- To promote responsible financial behavior.
- To inculcate the habits of saving.
- To modify the spending habits.
- To increase financial literacy and capability.
- To empower younger consumers of financial products.
The following learning opportunities shall be organized under Campus Outreach Program:
- First briefing session to students about Financial Markets and Regulatory Environment 2:30 hours session (on each participating campus)
- Second briefing session to students about Financial Products and Consumer Protection Laws 2:30 hours session (on each participating campus)
- Field visit of Students to the brokers of Pakistan Stock Exchange for practical orientation to different financial institutions 3:00 hours session (off campus)
- Summer edition of Virtual Investment Management Competition Open only to students having attended all three previous learning sessions
- Four Weeks Internship with selected financial institutions For top five students from Lahore region with best returns on the virtual investment portfolios